Castelo de Sao Jorge
Situated atop one of Lisbon’s seven hills are the ruins of Castelo de Sao Jorge. This magnificent castle, originally built by the Visigoths in the 5th century was later fortified with a 2km wall by the Moors in the 9th century. In 1147, following the Christian ransacking, it fell to Portugal’s first king, Afonso Henriques, whose statue stands beyond the main castle gate.
rnThe Palácio de Alcacovas was home to Portuguese royalty for centuries, but when attention turned to the sea in the 17th century, it fell into ruin. Today, the crumbling turrets serve as a romantic backdrop for a sunset stroll. The Olissiponia, an excellent multimedia exhibition, gives a commentary on the city’s history. The Camara Escura, a periscope with mirror and two lenses on top of the Tower, reflects 360° images of Lisbon inside. English commentary is available.