Central House of Writers
The Central House of Writers, or Tsentralny Dom Literatov (TsDL), is a Moscow institution, as well as a fantastic restaurant.
Situated on Povarskaya, a popular residential street for nobility and aristocrats, the building was originally owned by Count Olsufyev, a general to the Tsar and member of the Freemasons. This beautiful Russian mansion was built in the Art Nouveau era. It has seen many uses: a secret meeting-place of the Moscow Chapter, and after the Revolution a shelter for the homeless and then an orphanage. rn
In 1932 it was handed to the Union of Soviet Writers and has seen the creation of many Soviet masterpieces. The main dining area, the Oak Hall, has been restored to exactly how it was in 1910 – the elegantly carved wood panelling, crystal chandeliers and fireplaces make this one of the grandest dining rooms in Moscow.
There are also other dining areas: an Italian-themed restaurant and terrace, a VIP room and a cigar room. The menu offers all the typical Russian classics, while an Italian chef prepares some Mediterranean favourites. Both are outstanding.