Pitot House, an 18th-century plantation, offers the only plantation tour inside the New Orleans city limits. Pitot House’s location on Bayou St. John was convenient for shipping in those early years, because it was on a water route into Lake Pontchartrain. The seven rivers that emptied into the lake’s north shore created a shallow highway through the inland South. This plantation was home to James Pitot, the second mayor of New Orleans (1804-1805). Today the house (moved down the block to its present spot to make room for a Catholic school) is furnished as it might have been in Pitot’s time.