When it opened in 1920 as The Pantages Theatre it was the largest vaudeville and motion picture theatre at that time, housing a cinema of 3,373 seats. After changing hands several times, it reopened in 1989 with Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Phantom of the Opera. With its grand sweeping staircase, vaulted ceilings, chandeliers and paintings in the foyer, it has an elegant atmosphere perfectly matched to the lavish musicals and plays it hosts.
Canon Inc. pledged support in 2001 and the theatre was renamed in recognition. It is now owned by Mirvish Productions. The building spans the block between Victoria Street and it’s unassuming entrance on Yonge Street.