The museum finally opened to the public in 1734. The bronze equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius set dramatically in the square is a copy of the 2nd century AD original inside. Entrance to the collection is through the Palazzo dei Conservatori on the right of Michelangelo’s piazza and staircase. Highlights include the Spinario in Room 3, a first century BC bronze of a young boy removing a thorn from his foot, which is probably a Greek work. Room 4 has the much- reproduced Roman she-wolf, who suckled the twins Romulus and Remus, while Bernini’s snake-infested Medusa head is in Room 5. The picture gallery has a few significant pieces, most notably Caravaggio’s painting of John the Baptist grappling with a ram. If it weren’t for the title, it would be hard to see how this painting is holy – the figure is stripped of any religious context. The Palazzo Nuovo on the other side of the square houses ancient sculptures, with portrait busts of Roman citizens displaying their changing hairstyles and fashions. There’s the first-century BC Capitoline Venus, most likely based on an ancient sculpture called the Venus of Cnodis, who was considered so erotic that one Greek citizen was found having a smooch with the marble babe.