City Hall & Phillips Sq.
Toronto’s Old City Hall, designed by Edward James Lennox (whose later projects included Casa Loma and King Edward Hotel), was the largest municipal building in North America when it opened in 1899. It was replaced as City Hall in 1965 with the Modernist structure in front of Nathan Phillips Square, and now functions as a courthouse.
The current City Hall was designed by Finnish architect Viljo Revell, and, with its two curved towers and central dome, resembles an eye from an aerial view. Nathan Phillips Square (named after the city mayor who commissioned the current city hall) becomes an ice-rink in the winter months.